Early Childhood (EC) Parent Education Trainer
Bay Area Parent Leadership Action Network (PLAN) works to empower parents to transform schools so that every child can access an excellent education. We train and organize parents to be leaders in their children’s education, because it takes engaged parents to turn struggling schools into thriving schools. Founded in 2004, thousands of parents have participated in PLAN’s training programs and more than 50 grassroots organizations, schools, and school districts have graduated from our PLAN to LEAD Training of Trainers program. PLAN has two parent leadership curricula – PLAN to LEAD and Parents Ready for School – and is considered a leading resource for parent engagement and organizing in the Bay Area and California.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Early Childhood (EC) Parent Trainer is a contracted position. Working under the supervision of the Family and School Partnership Lead, the EC Parent Trainer will manage outreach and training for our Parents Ready for School Program. The primary focus of the position is to execute delivery of a minimum of 4 series of Parents Ready for School at 4 sites in Oakland, California serving families with children 0-5.
- Promote PR4S training programs and conduct outreach through presentations, one-on-ones, etc. to reach a minimum of 15 unduplicated parents attending each Parents Ready for School series
- Work with 4 early childhood education partner sites to select modules that meet their parent’s education needs
- Implement and facilitate Parents Ready for School Program at 4 early childhood education partner sites
- Work with Family and School Partnership Lead to coordinate development of 3 new Parents Ready for School modules
- Work with PLAN Parent Organizers to inspire parents’ participation in advanced leadership roles and PLAN membership
- Maintain overall calendar in consultation with PLAN staff
- Ensure all curriculum and materials are available in languages to meet partner site needs
- Work with Site Community Assistants and other site staff that interact with parents to increase use of best practices for outreach and communication to school community
- Monitor Training Program budget and adjust event logistics to conform to spending constraints
- Work at a computer approximately 30% of the time
- Ability to lift at least 30lbs of training materials
- Speak clearly and effectively by phone, face-to-face and before groups
- Travel to and from school sites
- Five years of experience as a trainer in a non-profit or education context, with a minimum of two years as a program manager
- Demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice and community empowerment
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and class backgrounds
- Familiarity with popular education techniques and values
- Excellent, dynamic facilitation
- Outstanding communications skills (written, verbal, and interpersonal)
- Professional, reliable, responsible, and consistent work ethic
- Highly organized and energetic; adept at planning, prioritizing and meeting deadlines
- Willingness to attend night and weekend activities
- Flexibility, a sense of humor, and willingness to learn from others
- Access to own car with valid CA driver’s license and current insurance coverage
- Experience working with parents
- Experience with public policy analysis, advocacy or organizing around issues in public education
- Experience using on-line and social media tools
- Experience developing curriculum for grassroots organizing and empowerment
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a contract position. The position is open until filled. The estimated hours of the contract are 40 hours each series for a total of 160 hours. The contract compensation range is between $4,000-$8,000, commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should email a short, descriptive letter of interest, along with three professional references and a resume, to: email@example.com, subject line EC Parent Trainer
Attachments should be in Word or PDF format, titled as follows:
lastname_firstname_resume.doc OR lastname_firstname_resume.pdf
lastname_firstname_letter.doc OR lastname_firstname_letter.pdf
Please, no faxes, phone calls or mailed hard copies. Unfortunately, we can’t respond to every application, though we will make every attempt to.
Our staff is focused on making positive change in the world, celebrates diversity and is committed to being intentionally inclusive in all of our relationships. PLAN is an equal opportunity employer.